Time in London

What time is it in London?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

It's Magical

A couple of years ago I read a book by Deborah Harkness called A Discovery of Witches. It's about a young scholar who discovers a long-lost and enchanted alchemical manuscript deep in Oxford's Bodleian Library. 

Today we visited Oxford and the Bodleian Library and I tried to connect what I read in Harkness' novel to the reality. No comparison. Hands down the real deal kicked my imagination's booty. What an old, preserved, proud place.

The best part was the shelving containing the books that Thomas Bodley himself contributed to the library - the shelves were handmade and complete with irregularities and character. I could almost picture the woodworkers with their lathes.

Extremely exhausting day but the beauty of Oxford and Christchurch saved the day.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Oxford! I'm so jealous! Did you just go to the library or did you visit other parts of the campus?

    ReplyDelete